So a lot of people have been asking me for recipes. I must have made my dinners look delicious with all my fancy iPhone filters... I try and eat an anti-inflammatory diet as it helps control my Rheumatoid Arthritis. This diet would also work for people with Fibromyalgia, allergies, and those wanting to lose weight. It's also a brilliant diet for people who do a lot of exercise, as it's protein heavy and low carb. It's also mostly vegan. Don't know it till you've tried it.
I thought I would kick off with my spicy butternut and peanut butter soup. It's perfect for windy autumn days. Warming, wholesome and the colour of falling leaves.
- Coconut oil
- Half a red onion
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 red chilli
- Two litres of veg stock (I use Marigold swiss vegetable Bouillon)
- Four tablespoons of peanut butter (I love Meridian crunchy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Half a lime
First you need to put on some good music. I think I last made this whilst singing along to Evan Dando, but you can put on whatever you like. Needs to be something mellow though, Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Nirvana Unplugged...
Then you need to make a big drink of lemon water. In between each stage of cooking have a giant gulp of it, wipe your mouth afterwards and say "Ah, that's better" because it will be. Lemon water is good for everything in the whole world, far too many things to name here.
Then you need to tie back your hair, wash your hands, prep your work surface and begin...
- Cook half a chopped red onion until translucent in coconut oil
- Add a diced peeled butternut squash and continue until softened (If you have more time on your hands, butternut squash can be pre-roasted with coconut oil and hemp seeds for a richer soup)
- Add the red chili as preferred and sweat off
- Add two litres of veg stock and bring to simmer
- Add four tbsps of peanut butter
- Blend in the pan with a stick blender
- Squeeze in half a lime (and sing "You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up" in a sotto voice - Reservoir Dogs Soundtrack)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with tbsp of creme fraiche or soya based alternative for vegans
Biona rye bread with Koko coconut butter is great on the side if you want to be super healthy. Crusty bread is also pretty amazing to dunk with. You can also get a Meridan peanut butter with chili already in it to make it easier.
I made it with a side salad of spinach and figs because I am a big show off ;)
Now all you need to do is put the washing-up in to soak, light a scented candle (TK MAXX do wonderful ones), sit down in your favourite spot, with your favourite people (or animals, or book) and enjoy